• Return to Threetowners Home Page
  • seaBANK STREET saLTCOATS

For those researching family in the three towns area.

seaBANK STREET saLTCOATS

Postby martiboy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:23 pm

jUST FOUND OUT MY GREAT GRANDFATHER ON MY MOTHER'S SIDE DID NOT AS i THOUGHT COME FROM dALRY BUIT sEABANK sTREET, sALTCOATS. iS THIS STILL STANDING. i BELIEVE HE WORKED IN TRHE AUCHENHARVIE PIT, BEFORE IT FLOODED. MY DAD USED TIOO CALL IT THE cHEESE HLL, IF ITS THE SAME PLACE. ANY HELPERS?
    martinjmurray
    martiboy
    Frequent Poster
    Frequent Poster

Postby neil » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:40 am

Seabank street was demolished in the mid 70s, The only part still standing is the old Ice Cream Factory, Which is now used for other Business.

Neil
    neil
    Frequent Poster
    Frequent Poster

Postby Scott McCallum » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:10 am

Hi Martiboy

This map of the Auchenharvie pits was drawn by the colliery manager after an accident in 1895. The low road from Saltcoats to Stevenson and the GSW Railway are still in the same place and Auchenharvie Academy sits roughly where Seabank is shown.

The Cheese Wedge or Cheese Hill was at Pit Number 4 and I think was part of the winding mechanism for the lift. Also (much later) about the same place was the dog track - which I think was called Grand View - my brother worked there, and made a lot of money from side bets, in the early sixties. The pits and the dog track are long gone and the whole place is now covered by Auchenharvie Golf Course and a Caravan Park.

There is an excellent booklet on the Auchenharvie Colliery by Stenlake Publishing:

Hughson, Irene The Auchenharvie Colliery, An Early History, Stenlake, 1996, pp36. Pb. NEW. A carefully researched history. £3.95 ISBN 1 872074 58 8

I think you can get this from them by mail order.

Scott McCallum - Glasgow
    Scott McCallum
    Frequent Poster
    Frequent Poster

thanks

Postby martiboy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:34 pm

manythanks for this. I feel like a dectective in my own life! Only just found out about these things. I remember the cheese hill and walking the Old Caley line to see where it went. M
    martinjmurray
    martiboy
    Frequent Poster
    Frequent Poster

Postby Jimmym » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi Martin,
    Here are three photos to let you see where Seabank Street used to be you will see the Funeral parlour that was the Ice Cream Factory and the spare ground you see at the back where i am standing is where you dad stayed and you will see where Arthur Street once wasfrom where iam standing in the Second photo was as close to Seabank Street now it is a Golf Course hope this help you .
    Where the Bungalows once was and theirs my mum looking back on old times in the Bungalows a place she loved very much

Where Seabank Street once was

Arthur Street is the road where the brickwall is now and Seabank street is i would say where i am standing it was a turning to the righthand side off where i am .
    Jimmym
    leading Poster
    leading Poster

Postby martiboy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:55 pm

Many thanks. This is great. Do you know why these streets were cleared and when?
    martinjmurray
    martiboy
    Frequent Poster
    Frequent Poster

Postby Jimmym » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:40 pm

Hi Martin,
    These houses where pulled down in 1976-77 they where pulled down for the slaughter house to open a can factory for caned food but it did not happen so they made a golf course sham these where great wee hooses i stayed right next to the shore great in the summer.

Bestwishes Jimmy
    Jimmym
    leading Poster
    leading Poster

Re: seaBANK STREET saLTCOATS

Postby scottyd » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 pm

I was brought up in Seabank Street.
    Can still remember the smell from the ice cream factory even now.
    scottyd
    Frequent Poster
    Frequent Poster

Return to Family Research (Genealogy) - Guest Posting Allowed.