A hill on the outskirts of the town (on the original road to Bartonholm and across the river to Saltcoats) served as a site for gallows, and for the burning of witches at the stake in 1650 (12 in March, and 5 in June). In 1813, 31 unemployed men were given work levelling the Gallows Knowe prior to the construction of the new Academy. The Gallowsknoll (at £15 per annum) and the Low Green were still being leased for pasture by the Burgh agricultural committee in 1908.
Taken from http://www.irvineayrshire.org/tour/index.htm
Was Bartonholm in Sandy Road .Before the new academy was built at the corner and c 1955 was there not prefabs sitting in that site,and would the house next to the garage be the oldest one left.Or was Bartonholm passed Cunninghame Poor House. A house sat at the bend ,and a road on the left went under a railway bridge.Yes just took google man for a walk and came across the Recycle site.At one time the other side before the bend was the council rubbish tip.Sad to see Ravenspark hospital in ruins.