• Return to Threetowners Home Page
  • Old Bathing Pond Photos: by Maggie T

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
    Forum rules
    Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.

Re: Old Bathing Pond Photos: by Maggie T

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Susan,

I'm surprised they didn't turn it into an art gallery. Now, that's something the town needed.

Sorry Morag, but the hair on the back of my head is still standing straight up.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

JD.
    John Donnelly
    Mega Heid Poster
    Mega Heid Poster

Postby Meg » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:40 pm

John Donnelly wrote: ...the hair on the back of my head is still standing straight up JD.

Mine too JD - words like shooting, self and foot come to mind. I remember it as a well doing business - dont know how many it employed but it would have gone on to greater things I am sure!

Oh well, Saltcoats Town Council obviously knew better.

Meg
    Meg

Postby morag » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:25 pm

John and Meg, that's exactly my point, industry is not bad, but should be something the area does well, or can be taught to do well. When going on the train to Glasgow you wind through all these idyllic places then you get to Paisley and depression. Grime coated buildings, Factories. Work? Maybe, but at what price? My husband's grandmother, God bless her, she lived to be 104 so she was doing something right!, was against the closing down of a plant that was spewing toxic waste into the air because it provided jobs. I tried to reason with her but it was what we need today rather than what we leave for our kids and grandkids that mattered.
    "You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
    C.S.Lewis
    morag
    Mega Heid Poster
    Mega Heid Poster

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Oh dear, here we go again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You seem to have the impression that I'm some kind of rabid capitalist / scrooge / wicked mill-owner; (quite the opposite actually).

I want both the industry AND the art galleries. But building art galleries won't lead to industry and work and income, while industry and work and incomes WILL lead to art galleries.

JD.
    John Donnelly
    Mega Heid Poster
    Mega Heid Poster

Postby morag » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:37 pm

I disagree.
    C.S.Lewis
    morag
    Mega Heid Poster
    Mega Heid Poster

Postby down south » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:58 pm

Oh dear, I should have known I'd be starting you two up again...

I felt in fairness I should have emphasised that I don't know the rest of the story, and for all I know the business was allowed to continue and was ultimately unsuccessful for other reasons.

Also, nobody would have foreseen in those days the complete disappearance of major local industries like ICI; and the town council would have had in the forefront of their minds the desire to promote the still existing visitor trade of Saltcoats, which wasn't what it had been but was still much more of a going concern than it is today. The story seems a lot worse from the perspective of today, than it would have at the time.

This is just me bending over backwards trying to be fair, mind; if the council DID kill off a thriving business, then shame on them.

Susan
    down south
    Mega Heid Poster
    Mega Heid Poster

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Ah Susan, if only they had the same 20 - 20 hindsight that we have today.

JD.
    John Donnelly
    Mega Heid Poster
    Mega Heid Poster

Postby Wardy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:48 am

Would anyone be able to tell me if they still have the boats in the pond? I'm 22 and live in Glasgow now but can remember being about 5 or 6 and the place being mobbed in the summer with about 20 pedal boats and canoes in the water at once. I always asked but was never allowed a go. I also remember slipping on the step into the water and my mum having to buy me a new outfit in the town!

Love the site by the way and regularly check back for old photos, you're doing an excellent job and long may it continue.
    Wardy
    New Poster
    New Poster

Postby Meg » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Welcome to the 3 towners Wardy - looking forward to your posts. Would love to know if you originate from the three towns or were you one of the sadly missed day trippers that used to make our three towns buzz in the summer.

Meg
    Meg

Postby morag » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Wardy wrote:Would anyone be able to tell me if they still have the boats in the pond? I'm 22 and live in Glasgow now but can remember being about 5 or 6 and the place being mobbed in the summer with about 20 pedal boats and canoes in the water at once. I always asked but was never allowed a go. I also remember slipping on the step into the water and my mum having to buy me a new outfit in the town!

Love the site by the way and regularly check back for old photos, you're doing an excellent job and long may it continue.

As Meg, said, welcome aboard!
    I'm surprised by your memories of the town being mobbed. I left in the early 70's and at that time the crowds were nothing like we got in the 60's. Everyone started going to Majorca or Tenerife etc., Saltcoats wasn't a contender anymore! But I loved when the Glasgow folk came down, so happy and good natured and determined to have a good time!
    C.S.Lewis
    morag
    Mega Heid Poster
    Mega Heid Poster

Postby Wardy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:14 am

I grew up in Rowanside Terrace in Ardrossan but moved away a couple of years ago. I only really come back to see my family and friends when I can but I have a great interest in the history of the area and love looking at the old photos.

Morag, it wouldn't have been as busy as the old days but I distinctly remember it still being pretty busy on summer days, with the boats looking particularly appealing.
    Wardy
    New Poster
    New Poster

Postby morag » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:22 am

Distinct memory of a Glasgow fair. Big happy man comes rushing from the sea to his wife and weans, " the watter's like it's been poured frae a kettle!' My pal and I did a wee raised eyebroo thing, took our shoes off and went for a paddle. It wiz bliddy freezin!
    C.S.Lewis
    morag
    Mega Heid Poster
    Mega Heid Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Threetowners' Photo Album