Here is a photo of Seafield School taken in January 2008.
Seafield School was built in as Seafield House in 1820 for Mrs Bartlemore. It was substantially rebuilt in the Scottish Baronial style in 1858. The tower at the rear was added in 1881. Around that time, it was owned by Archibald Douglas Bryce-Douglas (1841-1891), an esteemed marine engineer and shipbuilder. Towards the end of the nineteenth century, it was a hydro or hydropathic hotel. From at least the 1950s to around 2000, it was called Seafield Residential School. In late 2004, North Ayrshire Council sold its interest in it to Quarriers who renamed it Quarriers Seafield School.
Archibald Douglas Bryce-Douglas, shown below, was an esteemed marine engineer and shipbuilder. He was born in Saltcoats and died in Ardrossan. He owned Seafield House from at least the mid 1880s till his death there in 1891.
He donated the ship, called the Bryce-Douglas, on the steeple of Barony Saint John's Church in Ardrossan.
Extracts from Ardrossan and Saltcoats Heralds giving a profile of the life of Archibald Douglas Bryce-Douglas can be seen on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10203&start=12#p104758